6 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean, I like Yukon Gold
1 cup milk, half and half, or evaporated milk
1/2 stick butter
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups shredded cheese, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack etc
Green onions, chopped
Crumbled crispy bacon
- To cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot place them on a steaming rack with 1 cup of water underneath. Place the potatoes on the rack and cook them on HIGH PRESSURE for 18 minutes, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Alternatively you can bake the potatoes in an oven at 375 degrees F for about an hour.
- Heat butter and add two cloves of garlic. Heat until fragrant.
- Add milk to the butter pot and heat until small bubbles form at the rim of the pot. Set aside.
- Mix salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the potatoes in half, making sure that the halves you end up with can lay stable so you can fill them.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, scoop out the potato leaving about 1/8-1/4 inch of the potato with the skin so that the structure holds when re filling.
- Turn the potato skins cut side facing down. Brush each potato skin with oil.
- Sprinkle each potato skin with the salt, mixture from step 5.
- Turn the potatoes over and season the insides.
- Use a potato ricer or potato masher to mash the potatoes to a consistency you like.
- Stir in 1/2 milk mixture, adding more until your potatoes are the consistency you like. You can discard the garlic loves or mash them into the filling.
- Stir in shredded cheese and any other fillings you like such as bacon crumbles, green onions, chives, a dollop of sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff each potato skin with filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Top with more shredded cheese, sprinkle with chives, green onions, bacon, or sour cream.