- 6 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 in thick
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I prepare from powered as I don’t keep fresh buttermilk in the house and this always works wonderfully)
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- peanut oil or oil of your choice
In a large cast iron skillet heat about 1/4-inch of oil over medium high heat.
In a wide shallow bowl whisk together the eggs & buttermilk. In a separate dish combine the corn meal, flour, cayenne, salt & pepper. One at a time dip the tomato slices in the egg mixture then lay in the corn meal mixture and cover the tomato completely with the coating..
Once the oil is hot, add the coated tomatoes to the hot oil being sure not over crowd the pan. Cook the tomatoes until golden brown on both sides, trying to only turn one time once the bottom side is cooked and golden. Remove from the oil allowing all the excess oil to drain back into the pan and then place the tomato slices on a wire cooling rack which is covered with a paper towels. Season with salt. Serve hot, warm or cold, any way you eat them they are delicious!
Don’t forget to share with your Facebook friends.
Save it for later in Pinterest:
Like it? Share it!