- 3 ½ c cake flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c (2 sticks) butter, unsalted, diced, at room temperature
- 1 c whole or low-fat milk (divided use)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat two 8” cake pans lightly with cooking spray
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and ½ cup of the milk. Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 4 minutes, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- In a separate bowl, blend the eggs, egg whites, the remaining ½ cup milk and the vanilla extract. Add to the batter in 3 additions, mixing for 2 minutes on medium speed after each addition. Scrape down the bowl between additions.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake until the layers spring back when touched lightly in the center, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the layers from the oven and cool completely in their pans on wire racks. Release the sides and bottom of the layers from the pans with a narrow metal spatula or a table knife before unmolding and finishing with fillings and icings.