Loaded Potato Soup
1/2 lb Bacon, diced
1 Onion, diced
5 large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 – 15oz cans Chicken Broth
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
1 1/2 cups Milk
3/4 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Sour Cream for garnish
- In a large stock pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside. Cook the onions in the bacon grease until tender left in the pot.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove about a cup of potatoes. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes on med-low. Whisk in milk, turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened. Slowly stir in to stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Stir bowl of smashed potatoes back into pot.
- Add 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, three-fourths of the bacon to the pot. Add pepper. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- To serve, top with some shredded cheese, bacon and sour cream.