2 sticks butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs + 2 egg whites
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
One (1.34 ounce) box banana pudding mix
1 cup milk
For The Filling Ingredients: Whisk together the following ingredients and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the cake, about 10-15 minutes
One (1.34 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup Cool Whip (or whipped cream)
To Brush On The Layers Mix Together The Following:
1 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp milk
You Will Also Need:
2-3 medium ripe bananas, sliced and coat with lemon juice in a bowl ( 1 lemon to coat the bananas to prevent from browning)
4 cups Cool Whip for frosting
1 box Nilla Wafers
Directions For Step 1: Making The Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare three 8″ round pans by lining the bottom only with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl on high cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes, until a pale whitish color. Then slowly beat in eggs and egg whites, one at a time. Beat in vanilla until well combined.
- In a large separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and pudding mix. Add into wet ingredients in three separate additions, mixing until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Stir in milk until combined. Divide batter and pour into pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until cake is golden and begins to pull away from sides of pans.
- Allow cake to cool 15 minutes in pan. Loosen and remove from pan. Allow to cool another 1-2 hours on a wire rack.
Step 2 Layering The Cake:
- Level each cake. Place first layer on cake plate. Brush with a little milk mixture.
- Line banana slices on top of cake. Spread 1/3-1/2 of the filling mix on top of bananas.
- Place next cake layer on top of filling. Repeat with milk mix, filling, and final layer.
Step 3 Frosting The Cake:
- Frost with Cool Whip and decorate. Crush some Nilla wafers and spread on top if desired, then used the wafers along the sides.